Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Miss Tracy's Tutorials: How To Make a Milk Carton Pencil Holder



Here's a handy tutorial to recycle milk cartons and organize your child's pencils, crayons, etc., but it's not only for kiddos. If you're an artist like me, these recycled containers will hold your art supplies, craft supplies, office supplies, nails, screws and all sorts of bric-a-brac. And depending on your needs and how you'll use the containers, you can cut them out in different ways. For example, you can cut a portion off the top or you can cut the container in half - again, depending on your needs.


A few weeks ago, I posted about my awesome new Prismacolor pencils that I received for Christmas. I needed something to [neatly] store them in my studio and what kind of honorable recycling fiend would I be if I simply went out and bought something to store my awesome pencils?


At this point, all my friends and family know to save all the things they used to toss or recycle for me. That was the case with these 32 oz. milk cartons. A friendy gave them to me and I, in turn, recycled them into these here pencil holders, which are super easy to make. Here's how to do it....

 milkcarton115_zps38f62f0f.jpg

SUPPLIES
-plastic milk containers (mine are 32 oz.)
-scissors

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Simply cut a square out of the containter about a 1/2 to 3/4 inches below the handle (as show in the photos). That's it! Oh, and remove the milk label. See! I told you it was super, super simple. :)

 milkcarton120_zps42aa2b94.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Loved it! Functional and simple. I have taken the liberty of posting this on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/thelittlegreenpage – an online community to spread eco-awareness. Trust this is fine with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm happy to share my tutorial and photos with the online community. All I ask is that you give me credit and link back to my site. There are many more recycled tutorials to come!

    By the way, thank you for letting me know Pravin. I truly appreciate that. (I'm off to go check out your site).

    -Tracy

    ReplyDelete