Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Miss Tracy's Tutorials: Make A Keychain From Fabric Scraps

Sometimes, my tutorials are a result of me needing something......
          

I was in need of a new keychain so quite naturally, I decided to make it and create a
full-on tutorial. I checked my recycled milk containers that hold scraps of fabric and I 
found some pieces that were ideal for this project. Alright, let's begin....

          

                                                       Materials 
                                                       . key ring{s}
                                              . fabric scraps or ribbons
                                                   . buttons (optional)
                                                       . straight pins
                                                          . scissors

          

                                      Instructions
- I had some fabric scraps that were left over from other projects, but ribbons will
serve the same purpose and ribbons are less work because you don't have to sew 
the edges. If you use fabric scraps, you'll have to cut them to your desired width 
(and length), iron the sides together so the edges will be finished (so measure the 
width wide enough to allow for pressing) and then sew the edges together so there 
are no unraveled edges.  My scraps are already cut, ironed and sewn because, like 
I said, they are from previous projects.

          

- Cut your ribbon or fabric scraps to your desired length. It all depends on how long
you want your keychain to be.  My scraps are all different lengths.

          

- Using one key ring and one ribbon, pull your ribbon through the key ring. Pin in
place and sew the end of the fabric about 1/4" from the ring.

          

Overlap the 2nd end over the 1st end. Pin in place and sew 1/4 " from the key ring.
double stitched my seam for reinforcment because I want this keyring to last for 
a while. Now, zig-zag stitch the unfinished end for a clean finished look.

          

If you want to add buttons or beads add them now and sew them on through the
thickness.

          

Voila' your new keychain is finished. Simple, right?

          

TIPS
1. You can add some visual interest by sewing on buttons or beads - one button at the
top or a bunch of buttons down the length of the fabric, but this is totally optional.
2. You can layer the fabric or ribbons to add some weight if you find that your ribbon
is too lightweight like I did with the polka dotted keychain. The polka dotted fabric was 
a thin cotton, so I layered it on top of a piece of white cotton and zig-zag stitched the 2 
fabrics together.

Feel free to share my tutorials, but please link back to my blog and give me full 
credit. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment